RIX is a licensed underpinning contractor (License # 126432C) and has in-house expertise on underpinning projects, including hand excavation and boring, poured in-situ or shotcreted piers and hydraulic jacking.
In construction, underpinning is the process of strengthening and stabilising the foundation of an existing building or other structure. Underpinning may be necessary for a variety of reasons:
- The original foundation is not strong or stable enough
- The usage of the structure has changed
- The properties of the soil supporting the foundation has changed (possibly through subsidence) or was mischaracterised during design
- The construction of nearby structures necessitates the excavation of soil supporting existing foundations
- It is more economical, due to land price or otherwise, to work on the present structure’s foundation than to build a new one
Underpinning is accomplished by extending the foundation in depth or breadth so it either rests on a more supportive soil stratum or distributes its load across a greater area.